pRUNING WEEPING WILLOW TREE

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by elizabeth6373, Apr 15, 2006.

1. elizabeth6373

elizabeth6373 Member

Hi - I have a weeping willow tree that is pretty young. We planted it about 3 years ago and know nothing about pruning it or even if we should prune it. It's branches still touch the ground even though it is growing fast. Can you please tell me how to find out what I need to know about taking care of our weeping willow? I will appreciate any information you may give.

Thank you ever so much

Elizabeth

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Elizabeth, here is a link to some tree info regarding pruning, perhaps it may give you some ideas as to the long term treatment methods for your tree.

http://www.treesaregood.com/

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Your willow will keep growing branches that reach the ground even when it is as tall as mine, some 40-50 feet. They are virtually unstoppable, and if you give it a haircut from time to time it will grow new branches right back to the ground. I didn't grow mine from small, but I'd imagine you want to prune now for the shape you want it to have eventually - if you want it branching from down low, for example. Willows sprout readily from old wood (from REALLY old wood, even from cut wood...) and if it grows out of bounds in some direction it is no sweat to lop it back. You won't be able to see where you cut within a very short period.