Rhododendrons: favourite rhodo not blooming!

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by melaniec, May 19, 2006.

1. melaniec

melaniec Member

My favourite rhodo has beautiful fuschia blooms with silvery-white stamens and pistils (not sure I am using the correct terms). It bloomed last year though the leaves looked dry and not very healthy;there were many dead buds (dark brown-black, some with a powdery residue) which I removed. This year there is only one bloom and what I thought/hoped were buds are turing out to be new leaves. What can I do to help it bloom next year? I used a rhodo food blend last fall ... and pruned it two years ago.

The plant is likely fairly old; was here when I moved into my East Vancouver home five years ago. But this is the first year it hasn't bloomed.

Thanks for any suggestions and encouragement.

2. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

You may want to look on the rhododendrons forum as this has been discussed very recently.
    I have the same problem with some of mine!
    Good luck
    Margaret

3. melaniec

melaniec Member

Thanks Margaret. That message was the first one I posted on this site and I wasn't sure if I was doing so in the right place, etc. I've looked at the string as you suggested and I think the problem was late-in-the-season pruning. I'll be patient and kleep my fingerscorssed; it's a particularaly glorious and unusual plant. Hope your garden is flourishing!

4. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

You are more than welcome Melanie.
    I came across this site by accident when we bought a property with many "new to me" plants and I really cannot praise it and the contributers enough. There is such a wide range of abilities, knowledge and interests and so many helpful people. It also amazes me to read posts from all over the world.
    Margaret