Help with fertalizer choice!

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by 09ltrain, Aug 18, 2009.

1. 09ltrain

09ltrain Member

I have a question about fertilizer. I live in Dallas TX and have two kumquat trees outside in ceramic pots. I found two Miracle Grow water soluble fertilizers. One is 24-8-16 the other is 30-10-10. Which one do you think will be best for kumquat trees? I know the ideal ratio is 5-1-3 but I have seen 30-10-10 (3-1-1 ratio) recomended. Also what is Iron Cheleate?

2. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Active Member

As far as I know 30-10-10 is recommended as the second best choice if you can't find a 5-1-3 ratio, but it's probably best to use the 24-8-16 since it's closer to the 5-1-3 ratio. Be sure it has trace minerals though.

I know chelated iron is a trace mineral in fertilizers that contain trace minerals, but beyond that I don't really know anything about it.

3. 09ltrain

09ltrain Member

Thanks for the reply. Upon reading the guaranteed analysis, I found that the Nitrogen (24%) is made up of 3.5% Ammoniacal Nitrogen and 20.5% Urea Nitrogen. I have read that Urea is not good for citrus. I may end up looking around more to find something else.

4. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Active Member

I don't know that much about nitrogen origin, but I've also read that nitrogen derived from urea is no good for citrus. Why I don't know.

I don't know which would be better, a fertilizer closer to the correct ratio but derived from urea or a 30-10-10 with no urea.