Eucalyptus trees

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by moyadelahoya, Apr 14, 2008.

1. moyadelahoya

moyadelahoya Member

Where can I find Eucalyptus trees in the Lower Mainland (GVRD)
    and which species will do the best in our climate?
    We were hoping to use it as a wind break and have it aid in drainage of the surrounding area.
    Any info appreciated

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Best out of cold winds and requiring good drainage. Probably you would do better to plant western redcedar (Thuja plicata).

3. moyadelahoya

moyadelahoya Member

ahhh I thought that eucalyptus needed lots of water and some of the species could handle colder temps. and we are looking for an alternative to usual suspects as we already have an abudance of those.

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Murray nurseries (now closed) in south vancouver had one planted in their landscape that was about 10 years old. Took a real beating with a colder winter in 2004 (I think). Generally speaking you are really pushing the envelope with Eucalyptus in the lower mainland, on Saltspring Island or other gulf islands you may have a more sporting chance.

5. Larry Mroz

Larry Mroz Member

Hi - Yes you can grow them here in Vancouver! Check out this website - and post for suggestions there. Probably should avoid windy sites but otherwise many hardy varieties are available to grow here.

http://www.cloudforest.com/northwest/
    Good luck!

6. fmgee

fmgee Member

I grew up in the highlands of Australia and E.pauciflora (Snow Gum) should do fine here. Same with some of the peppermints (E.dives and E.radiata). I am not sure if you can find them here is the only thing. Avoid E.mannifera (brittle gum) a hint of breeze and it drops a branch or two.

Good luck