Growing citrus from seed

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Unregistered, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Re: Growing Citrus Trees from Seeds (Advice Please)

I recently planted a clemetine(tangerine) seed with a house plant to see if i could get it to grow. It sprouted and is growing taller. I live in the midwest where it gets too cold for it to be outside. Can it live indoors? How tall will it get? It is a tree or a bush? Whats the chances of it actually growing fruit? Or must I cross pollenate it first? Must I transplant it imediately because of the other plant? Or just leave it till it gets a little bigger? How often should I be watering something like that? Any good growing tips are welcomed.

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re: Growing Citrus Trees from Seeds (Advice Please)

First of all the hybrid seed thing DOES NOT PERTAIN TO CITRUS, except for a very few varieties, Clementine being one. Almost all sweet oranges, true grapefruit, lemons, limes, pure mandarins (other than King and Clementine), most Tangelos, hybrid tangerines and tangors (except Temple) do come true from seed. As you planted a Clementine seed you will not get an exact copy of the mother tree, but will get a mandarin type of fruit. Your tree can live indoors during the winter and outside in a container during the spring, summer and early fall. Whether the tree is a bush or standard (tree) depends on how you grow the tree. If given the proper care, the tree will certainly fruit, when it reaches maturity (5- 7 years). I would recommend that you transplant the seedling as soon as it has developed the first two true leaves, being careful not to disturb the roots. BE SURE to plant it in a EXCELLENT draining growing medium. Do not over pot the plant, but start out in a small container and as the tree grows you can increase the size of the pot. In the begining water only when the top inch of soil becomes dry. Water only in the moring so that the top of the soil dries quicky to prevent deases. You can fertilize when the frist two true leaves are developed. In the begining, untill the seedling get taller apply fertilizer once a month at 1/2 of the suggested rate on the label. Take care, and good luck to you and to the tree. - Millet

3. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

I started a tangerine plant/tree about 5 years ago and was wondering about the fruit thing. Mine is about 3 feet tall and looks more like a multi stemmed tree. Maybe I planted two seeds though, I don't remember. I have kept mine indoors all year round. I haven't seen any flowers on it yet.

4. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

Unregistered guest Millet has always been a Clementine lover along with many other citrus varieties. If you should ever go through Denver Colorado and see a yellow Corvette with a License plate that reads "Clementine" That's Millet. Take Care . Dale