Second thread re. unknown plants on boulder in Langford

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Renew, May 5, 2015.

1. Renew

Renew Active Member 10 Years

Here are the other some more plants. More to be posted...

Attached Files:

2. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

1,4 - Claytonia perfoliata.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

#3 I think is Sedum, maybe S. spathulifolium.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

#2 is a Myosotis, I think. Check against Eflora BC descriptions.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  5. Renew

I did look at the E-Flora BC page and saw 2 entries there, Hypholoma myosotis, which is a mushroom and Lappula squarrosa, which is of the borage family. The plant in the picture was about 1' tall, with smooth leaves and a very small purple flower, the colours are accurate in the photo. If you meant myosotis, I know that plant well and this is definitely not that.

6. Renew

Thank you to Tyrlych and Eric for the likely correct identifications, as they are both native plants as well.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

8. Renew

I have looked at Myosotis discolor on Eflora BC. On a number of the pictures from that site there is another partial flower or thick leaf below the main flower. I do not see this in the photo I took. All the flowers in my picture have just one flower head at the end of a stalk coming from 2 more or less opposite leaves. The description states the leaves are alternate which does not appear to be the case (at least not compared to their drawing.)

9. Daniel Mosquin

Myosotis discolor herbarium specimen. Note the appearance of what seem to be opposite leaves, but are in fact alternate. (I don't see opposite leaves in your photograph -- there is one pair of leaves that is ambiguous from the camera angle, but all of the rest are alternate)

Myosotis discolor when it is just starting to flower. As the inflorescence ages, the scorpoid cyme (well, not really, but good enough) elongates.

10. Renew

Ok, but what about the fact that there seem to be on Eflora one flower at the end of the stalk, then some more single flowers lower down on the stalk. This does not show up in my photo. Is the plant just variable? Unfortunately I took the photo when I was away and have not been able to get any more photos of the plant (until next spring....).

11. Daniel Mosquin

The internodes between the flowers extend as the inflorescence develops, it seems. The herbarium specimen images show this phenomenon, as I suppose the EFlora images do, while the image I most recently linked to shows the first few blooms, as does your image.

12. Renew

Thank you Daniel for being patient with me and explaining very well the identity of the one photo of the plant. If I had been able to view the plant over time it would have been helpful....