identify bush/tree crenulated leaf margins

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by MGPIC, May 27, 2015.

1. MGPIC

MGPIC Active Member

Hi--Master Gardener in Plant and Insect Clinic in SW Washington State. Client brought in a specimen of a bush or tree--had a single trunk, but was bushy and about 10 feet tall. Smooth bark, gray bark on trunk. It is growing in a sunny field by itself.
    No flowers have been noticed on the tree
    Alternate leaves
    Crenulate leaf margins
    the top of the leaf is moderately shiny
    back of leaf is lighter in color and pubescent
    the terminal bud is unusual--tube shaped, and the very newest leaves almost look serrated.

I've done some preliminary searching, but can't narrow it down enough to make a determination. Any ideas? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Willow.

3. MGPIC

MGPIC Active Member

4. Ron B

Azalea-like branching of piece on the right would be more like Scouler willow. Also Hooker willow is found only near water unless planted, produces stout shoots covered in white fuzz. The large leaves mature black-green on top and are conspicuously white hairy beneath at least when young (it depends on if we include Piper willow within Hooker willow or not). Also the galls are species-specific so you can probably tell just by those.

5. MGPIC

MGPIC Active Member

So the cylindrical, rolled up terminal leaf bud is a gall? I thought that was just normal growth. I appreciate you educating me on this!

6. MGPIC

MGPIC Active Member

So I decided to cut open that area on the terminal bud. And look what I found in it! Very cool! Can't find information on galls that are specific to Scouler willow, though. Got out my microscope--a bit fuzzy, but very interesting!

Attached Files:

7. Ron B

Tree-like willows expected to be seen in the area are covered by A. L. Jacobson in his guidebook Trees of Seattle - Second Edition (2006), where you will also find the galls seen on each species of willow mentioned. I suggest you review his account and then check on each species that seems possible using additional resources before deciding which one this example may be.

Botanical treatment of the local species of this general type (Subgenus Vetrix) can be found here:

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=129059

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  8. MGPIC

MGPIC Active Member

Thank you VERY much for your help--I'll definitely look into it. Just fascinating!