Evergreen privacy hedge suggestions?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by bc westcoaster, May 13, 2009.

1. bc westcoaster

bc westcoaster Member

I am looking for suggestions for an evergreen privacy hedge to block a neighbors deck from view. Because their deck is 6.5' above the ground, we want this hedge to be 12'-14' high at time of planting. We are only looking for a grouping of 3 trees - just to block their deck from our window view, so a taller, thinner tree would be ideal. I've attached a photo of the view from our deck, looking at the neighbor's deck.

We were hoping for something a little different than the standard hedge (such as Leyland Cypress, which is often suggested). We had thought of weeping Alaska cedars, but they were just too thin for proper blocking.

The location is on the side of our backyard, fairly close to the corner of our house - about 8' away. These 3 trees would also be close to a future fence we plan on installing later this summer/fall. We live in Abbotsford.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

One or two Pacific wax myrtle might work out for you there.

3. bc westcoaster

bc westcoaster Member

Thanks, Ron - I'll check that species out.

4. kevindunbar

kevindunbar Member

Similar Question. 2 foot high deck, wanting to have a 8 - 10 foot evergreen hedge from extending 10 feet from the west side of the house. I considered Emerald Green Cedars, but I am worried about browning.

Suggestions?