Planting "Fruit Trees" from a seed!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by allenrenie, Sep 26, 2008.

1. allenrenie

allenrenie Member

I have been researching information about "seed planting for fruit
    trees" I found only one small artical. Do you know any thing about it
    and if so can you give me some info. In particular Peach and or
    Nectoreens. if you know of a link, or if you have good info please let me
    now. This is for a back yard project, mine. The summers are usually
    90's sometimes more, spring 75-80 degrees, fall is perfect weather
    consistantly 75, winters seldom get below 32 degrees. Northern
    California Roseville, CA.
    P.S
    My Dad had a Neighbor that use to do this, however I believe he had to refrigerate the seeds for months before planting. I don't have any more info then this Please help.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Seedlings you get may not have as good a fruit as the trees the seeds came from. You will be experimenting. If you want to be sure of good fruit quality buy grafted specimens of named varieties known to be locally suitable.

3. allenrenie

allenrenie Member

"seedlings" as in small trees from seeds. I am not sure what you just said!. Are you talking seedlings as in small trees or "seeds" from a fruit tree, where by the seeds are planted hopfully to create a "fruit tree". Let me explain, I have seeds from a tree, I want to plant the seeds to create a "fruit tree". Can this be done, will it produce a tree, fruit, do you have to refrigerate the seeds for months, what is ment to be sure of good fruit quality (buy) grafted specimens of named varieties known to be locally suitable. Is this a NO, and buy a grafted specimen?

4. biggam

biggam Active Member

You do not have to a buy grafted variety for good fruit, at least for this type of stone fruit.

Let the pit dry a little at room temp, then crack it open with a vise, nut-cracker, or whatever, careful not to break the seed inside. There is a dormancy requirement for the seed to germinate, also known as cold-moist chilling, which can be done in the refrigerator or simply sowing the seeds outdoors in the fall.

There is an article specifically about this in June/July 2008 Mother Earth News.

5. allenrenie

allenrenie Member

Thank you so much for your information.
    I have stored several pits in the refrig, for a month or so now. Do they still have to dry out, out doors before they are planted. Can I or should I crack the pit, let them germinate (for how long) in the fall, and when do I plant the Pit, in the fall? Also, should I plant several cracked pits, I have about one dozen. Some one told me it is very hard to grow a fruit tree this way so by planting all of them (the pits) would assure maybe a start of a tree. Please advise.
    Irene allen
    allenrenie@yahoo.com

6. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Peach and Nectarine seeds have a better record of producing worthwhile fruit trees than the seeds of most other fruits. Peach and nectarine trees grown from seedlings do not reliably produce fruit similar to that of the parent. Peach seeds are usually stratified for three or four months before planting, but it is also possible to grow seedlings by planting the seeds immediately after separating them from the ripe fruit. - Millet