Growing seeds/cuttings

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by DamienO'Connor, Sep 5, 2007.

1. DamienO'Connor

DamienO'Connor Active Member

I want to start growing some herbs (see my thread in the herb section), and maybe some cuttings of various plants also so that I can learn to bonsai. My question is though, what soil do I use? I am going to use those containers with the clear lids, so they are like mini greenhouses. I know you can get seed raising mix, do I use this for cuttings? And also is there any way I can make a soil mix such as this?
    Thanks for your help.
    Damien

2. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Use coarse sand for cuttings and a mister in the summer time and a lid in winter.

3. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

You did not mention if hard wood cuttings or softwood cutting because it makes some difference. I know there are commercial seed raising mixs that are also recommended for cuttings. However, you can use perlite mixed with coarse sand (1/1), or perlite with peatmos (2/1) in clear containers with clear lids. the soil has to be moist but not wet. It helps if the pot is on a warm surface for bottom warmth (not heat) which accelerates rooting.

4. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

I also use Dip N Grow root stimulator for both hard wood and semi-ripe cuttings.

5. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    Air layering is also a good method for starting a number of different kinds of plants on a small scale.

6. mwoodruff50

mwoodruff50 Member

if you can find gel propagation packs, commonly sold under the name gel2root here in the US they look like pudding cups they work pretty good. and you can watch your roots grow