Watermelon planting

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by sungodess134, Mar 22, 2007.

1. sungodess134

sungodess134 Active Member

I bought some congo type watermelon seeds for planting in South FL, I have an area about 8ft long, 1ft wide in very sunny location, that I would like to plant these seeds in. I looked up some info and most say to plant on a hill. Is it okay to plant in this particular spot, I really don't have anywhere else for them to grow? It also is complete hot FL sun all day, is this also alright? Should I mound up the dirt so that it will be a small hill? Any suggestions are appreciated. thanks, me.

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

That is a fairly small area for watermellon-- typically the vines will spread 10 to 15 ft in all directions. Sun is good, but many people grow watermellons where they get some shade from either weeds (as in the case of watermellons planted on new ground) or something like filed peas planted nearby-- if not the mellons tend to get sunburned.

Plant 4 to 5 seeds in a hill of dirt about 8 to 10 inches high and 6 to 8 inches across the top with sloping sides.

I am trying something new this year-- I am planting seeds directly into a pile of dirt from a 40 # bag of composted cow manure. If this works, I should be able to grow watermelons in more or less the same place year after year. Normally they are planted on "new" ground and supposedly will not do well when planted in the same area the pervious year. We shall see since I grew some nice ones in the same area last year. I moved the actual hill 2-3 ft from the previous hill.

Skeet

3. sungodess134

sungodess134 Active Member

thanks for the advice I will see if I can find a place to grow them somewhere around here. *looking around* me.