pruning negelected pear and apple tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by jrasmuss, Aug 8, 2006.

1. jrasmuss

jrasmuss Member

This will be my first visit to your forum. I have just purchased a house in Sooke BC. There is a neglected apple and pear tree on the property. This year I am the proud recipient of two apples on that tree and one pear on this tree. I am sorry to say the three plum trees don't seem be producing much fruit either. Could you suggest how I should prune the apple and pear tree this fall so hopefully I will get some fruit production for next year? I do not know what kind of apple or pear tree I have. Thank you for your assistance. John.

2. biggam

biggam Active Member

Some goals are to remove unproductive wood, allow sunlight penetration and air circulation. Get some decent loppers and go to it. You might wait until the harshest weather is over (not familiar with your area, but around March 1st is good here,) or do it now if so inclined. I won't go into further detail, and likely others will reply with their 2 cents worth. Click my username for a recent post in which I link to a useful University Extension webpage on this topic. Something else you could do in the spring is apply organic fertilizer (compost, pasteurized poultry litter, etc.) thinly beneath the drip line. Good luck!