Cedar Hedge

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by NancyHitchins, Apr 11, 2005.

1. NancyHitchins

NancyHitchins Member

I live in Ottawa, Ontario, and have a cedar hedge bordering our house that is about 12 feet high. The foliage is rather sparse in a few places. What should we be feeding our hedge to ensure good growth? And when should we prune the hedge?

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. straller

straller Member

I'm having the same problem with my cedars - 12 foot high plus, 80 foot long garden bed, were pruned two years ago, now October starting to show brown foilage all over...this is the same for a newer hedge which is only about 8 feet high...what should we be doing???

4. hedge-hog1983

hedge-hog1983 Member

Hi there,

Although cedar hedges can be pruned almost any time I would recommend mid to late summer. The middle of August is nice as most of the severe heat is over and much of the growth is complete. For a very well kept hedge late June and early September is good.

Fertilizer can be purchased for evergreens. Look for something like 12-4-4 or 30-10-10 (30-10-10) is just more concentrated. The numbers are percentages.

First number = Nitrogen - greenery
    Second Number = Phosphate - flower/fruit
    Third Number = Potash - root development

I would be careful not to over fertilize. Just follow the directions and you should be fine.

Jon