Oak Tree Identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Fring7, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Fring7

Fring7 Member

Hi everyone!
    I am a first time poster to this board.
    I am trying to identify this Oak Tree.
    Common sense dictates that this is a Burr Oak because of its geographical location.
    This Photo was taken about 6 kms. from where I live in neighbouring Stony Plain Alberta.
    Problem is that the leaves dont look like any Burr Oak around here and from the size of it I am thinking that it could be a White Oak.
    Can anyone help me positively identify this?
    Secondly, Do you think a Garry Oak would grow in my Climate?
    This is a zone 3 area.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Oaks hybridize, too.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The answer to your second question regarding Quercus garryana is no, I'm afraid. You're three zones off, according to this factsheet on Quercus garryana from Oregon State Univ.

As for the ID, I'm afraid I'm not an oak expert.

4. timbercheap

timbercheap Member

I am 99% sure that Q. garryana will not grow outside of its narrow range on the west coast. In fact there is an abrupt dissappearance of this species just north of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island where there is a significant change in ecology (its normal range in BC is restricted to a very small area in the SW).

5. Looks a lot like Black Oak. It's a very common tree on the U.S. East coast. Don't know about Alberta. It could be Hybridized with a Burr oak.

6. Wontolla

Wontolla Member

As a total stranger of USA trees I just give my idea.
    To me the pictures show an ordinary Q robur, which is the most common oak here in Holland.

7. iswizardlly

iswizardlly Member

Hi I am not sure of the I.D. of the tree in question here,but regarding areas where the Garry Oaks grow ,We do have some Garry oak here in the southern Great Lakes region at least along the south end of Lake Huron and also the North coast of Lake Erie.

8. goleafsgo16

goleafsgo16 Member

Im knew to this forum, and this is my first post.
    The tree in question is English oak. (Quercus rober)

It is native to Europe, but is widely planted as an ornamental across Canada and the US.

9. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

It's not Quercus robur. That has leaves with strongly auriculate bases (i.e. small backward-pointing lobes) and its two major lobes each side are deeper and narrower. The leaf color and texture of Fring7's oak are also wrong for Q. robur. See these links to authentic Q. robur:
    http://www.hlasek.com/quercus_robur_af4072.html
    http://ispb.univ-lyon1.fr/cours/botanique/photos_dicoty/dico Q a Z/Quercus robur.jpg

I think Fring7's pic is almost certainly a native North American oak but that's too difficult a group for me! As Ron B noted, they are inclined to hybridize.

10. J.Onstott

J.Onstott Active Member

Also you may have to look at leaves on different parts of the tree, the physical expressions tend to vary, on the tree as well as with location. A hybrid makes ID that much more difficult, sometimes you look to the characteristic that is most prevelant and choose it. White oak (Quercus garryana will grow on a wide variety of soils and within different moisture regimes, so it is possible that it is there.

11. mikerussum

mikerussum Member

Possibly Quercus lyrata? But out of it's geographical range so Im not 100% sure. Or quite possibly Quercus alba.

12. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd agree not Q. robur.

Hard to tell from these pics, but the shoots look as though they might be densely short-tomentose. Would that help narrow it down?

13. smivies

smivies Active Member

Climate & leaf shape would generally make this pretty easy....
    - it's not in the Red Oak group (because of rounded lobes), so not Black Oak (not hardy anyway), Red Oak, Northern Pin Oak.
    - not Q. robur as leaf size is too big and hardiness would be very suspect in zone 3.
    - Q. lyrata & garryana are not hardy

The leaves in the photos are not the best examples for identification as they are growing lower on the tree and subject to shade which will modify leaf shape. I see more similarities though with Q. macrocarpa, with the shallow lobes and wider leaf body near the end of the leaf. Q. alba has much deeper cut lobes and leaf body width is fairly uniform over the length of the leaf.

Are there any northeastern or central Asian Oak species hardy to zone 3?

I vote for Q. macrocarpa but wouldn't be surprised if it was a macrocarpa x 'something else'.

Simon

14. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Quercus mongolica should be, but it doesn't look like that.
    I'd concur.

15. Fring7

Fring7 Member

Hey all,
    Thanks for the input.
    I have come to the conclusion that its probably a hybrid macrocarpa/alba.
    Many immigrants in this area would bring trees from other parts of Canada and looking at this tree time and time again its is nothing like the Other burr Oaks that I have seen in the area.(Suprisingly, quite a few of equal size and age in Edmonton).
    I should of taken a picture of the tree beside it. One of the most beautiful broadleaf Linden trees that I have ever seen.
    I have since relocated to Beautiful Nova Scotia Canada and just planted the following trees:
    Catalpa
    Peach tree
    English Oak
    Sugar Maple
    Horse Chestnut
    Mountain Ash

Oddly enough, some of my favourite trees from the west are quite uncommon here.
    I am anxious to plant Swedish Columnars , a Mayday tree and a Russian Olive tree here but having difficulty finding a source.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

16. smivies

smivies Active Member

You will also find that many of your favourite trees from the West can become a bit prolific bordering on invasive in the favourable climate of the Maritimes.

17. Fring7

Fring7 Member

Yep,
    Especially the good old Russian Olive tree.
    Still love em tho'

18. G Stone

G Stone Member

Hi Fring7;

You may have already received an answer to your oak tree question. However, I'm curious...did you ever try taking a small bark & small piece of branch w/ leaf sample to a botanist at your local college? You couldn't go wrong there! You could also try a reputable nursery in your area (employees at a nursery may only know basic botany, though). Also, try this: http://www.care2.com/c2c/photos/tag/oak/179222210 Simply drag your mouse over the photos on this web page & it will display the name of each oak tree presented.

Good luck in your research Fring!

G.

19. Fring7

Fring7 Member

Thanks For the info G Stone,
    Will look into...

20. BigOakGuy66

BigOakGuy66 Member

It has rounded leaves so it's broadly in the White realm

I have no idea what your Oak is but I'll start working on it.

The reason for my post is I want to know what kind the one in my backyard is. The pictures show the tree, leaves, and acorn. It has pointy leaves so it's basically a red oak, and the acorn is reddish-brown. It was planted between 1958 and 1960 and has grown to a height of over 100'. It is 11'6" in circumference 3' up from the base but it does not have particularly large diameter branches compared to other oaks I've seen in the neighborhood. It is in Southeastern Pennsylvania where we have a lot of red oaks - the clay soil helps that. It's also best to leave the leaves their to help the PH but must people chuck their leaves away and the trees don't grow as well.

Anyway, it's a tall oak, that's pretty skinny. Nice tree to look at. I guess I'll try my best but any help appreciated. I might want to grow another one of these.

Thanks for any help. Enjoy the pics. It is the tall tree to the right of the greyish stucco house in case it's hard to find.

Attached Files:

21. Fring7

Fring7 Member

That is a beautiful Oak tree.
    The leaves do look like a Red Oak, but the teeth on them seem to be thinner than most Red Oak where I currently live... (Nova Scotia).
    If I had to guess, I would think that you have a Pin Oak variation or a Red Oak Pin Oak hybrid.
    Best of luck in you search and any help you can give me would be appreciated.

22. BigOakGuy66

BigOakGuy66 Member

Thank you, pins are common in my neighborhood. I will study the shoots on the branches when they emerge this spring, as that might help me "pin" it down better, no pun intended.

Well, making progress anyway.
    Thanks again.

23. June Chipp

June Chipp Member

This tree looks exactly like a swamp white oak (quercus bicolor). I don't know if they grow out west but we have them along the north shore of Lake Erie.

June

24. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

Greetings,

I went 16 pages deep in Google images before running into duplication of Quercus species. There are 64 species listed within those pages. For this purpose the list was not filtered for synonyms, range, or for plants which may not be in cultivation.

Going back through the list, monitoring for smooth margin species, reduced the list to: alba, garryana, margaretta, petraea, and robur. The leaf footprint of each is: alba elliptic, garryana oval, margaretta obovate, petraea oval, and robur also obovate. The lobe depths are: garryana 1/2; alba 3/4, petrae 1/4 or less, robur 1/3 or less. Each lobe tip on the garryana is notched.

Our sample has the most similarities to Q. margaretta. The lobe count, leaf footprint, margin, veins, and bark all look quite similar to the sample illustrated at the Duke site: http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/quma6.html