When do I pick grapefruit?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by janetgee, Jan 17, 2010.

1. janetgee

janetgee Member

I have a tree that I think is grapefruit that I planted from seed about 20 years ago. It has been in my greenhouse for about 2 yrs. Before that it was in my house & never flowered. It has had a few fruit on it since the summer & they are turning yellow so I think they are grapefruits. I would like to know when to pick them?

2. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Active Member

Grapefruit can be picked any time between January and June. The cold weather makes for a sweet juice inside, but freezing temperatures can damage the fruit. For the sweeter juice pick near the end of february or when the temperatures just start getting warmer. Keep an eye on the tree if a lot of fruit starts falling off, probably a good time to start picking. Fallen fruit is still good to eat, just check it for any bugs or bad spots.
    Beware though that citrus trees are thorny, and picking their delicious fruit can be painful unless you know a couple of tricks. Stretch a wire coat hanger into a hook-and-pole shape, make sure you wear a thick jacket and use the hook to bring the branches within reach, gently twist and pull to remove the fruit