Help with my Lemon Tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Keegs, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Keegs

Keegs Member

I have two 6 yr old lemon trees (same pot) that I planted from seed. I always have trouble with their leaves falling off in the winter but I feel that its doing worse than usual this year.
    Its has a serious insect issue as well. It makes tiny webs all over the plant but also makes the leaves (and the ground around the plant) very sticky.
    Im considering a lamp to help it get some light in the winter. Does anyone have any insight on that decision or any ideas on what kinda bug is harassing the tree?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It sounds like you may have two or more pests. The webbing indicates the presence of spider mites. The sticky substance is honeydew excreted by a sap sucking pest such as scale or aphids. Insecticidal soap can be used to eradicate them but would require multiple treatments 7-10 days apart until the pests are gone. Horticultural oil is another option and is reportedly more effective.

3. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

Jungle keeper is right on! It is a big problem with indoor citrus. It sounds like a major infestation. If not kept in check it can cause all sorts of grief. Horticultural oil and a drop or two of dawn dish soap works well for me. Be sure to get the soil too. On occasion I have had to resort to some serious insecticide when I get caught off guard with a major infestation.

Greg

4. Keegs

Keegs Member

Thanks for the feedback. I tried a little bit of dish soap with the water and gave it a good spray. Been looking pretty good for the last 2 weeks.

Cheers

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Good to hear. Keep a lookout for stragglers or reinfestation for next little while. In the case of spider mites be watchful for tiny red specks or single strands of webbing (which show up with the proper lighting) on the foliage. In the case of scale look for tiny specks of honeydew on the foliage. Reapply treatment at the earliest opportunity upon detection. Good luck.