mildew on pumpkin plant?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by flowercents, Sep 6, 2005.

1. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

My pumkin plant seems to be growing well, other than the fact that some of the leaves are covered with what looks like mildew. I picked some of the leaves off but it hasn't stopped the spread. Anyways, I'm wondering if the pumpkins will still be good to eat?

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

The powdery mildew always happens. No problem, the pumpkins will ripen up fine, and the leaves are on their way out this time of year anyway.

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I had a problem last year with the mildew as well, the pumpkins were fine. It turned out my four year old was watering the plants from above and soaking the leaves, instead of going underneath.
    Carol Ja

4. Pumpkins will still be fine. You may want to use a garden fungicide like "defender" it will kill off the powdery mildew. It is common this time of the year, but a fungicide can stave it off for a few more weeks.

5. Pharmerphil

Pharmerphil Member

and if the thought of using chemicals is against your beliefs, as it is mine, you can use 1/4 ounce of baking soda to a gallon of water.

6. alleysally

alleysally Member

Hi!

I have rampant powdery mildew spots on my formerly beautiful and pristine pumpkin plant leaves! This is the first time I've ever grown a pumpkin, and in fact it was a "volunteer" that sprang from seeds in our compost heap and managed to germinate in one of our plant beds. I've just learned what it was by posting photos of the "fruit" globe on my flickr photosteam.

Do you use a spray bottle for the baking soda+water solution? How often do you need to spray the leaves, and will this treatment fully eliminate the ugly mildew? Or just contain it?

We've had a very rainy summer this year. And much of the rain has been at night. Could that be one of the reasons the mildew has developed on the leaves?

Thanks!
    alleysally

7. luvpapi

luvpapi Member

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I found a source that said spraying the leaves during the full sun with milk and water makes the mold die due to the change in PH. I've done it every other day or so and it has definitely worked! I just bought a bottle from the hardware store and mix it up (i do 50-50) and the mold is gone

8. w8in4dave

w8in4dave Member

Hi all I am new here. I also have a problem with what I think is mildew on my pumpkin plant. Hubbs has a spaghetti plant across from my pumkin plant that had the same, I think the wind spread it to my pumpkin plant.. I did the milk and water thing today so .. I am hopeful :) Thanks for the onfo :D

9. herophant

herophant Member

OMG, i feel smart.
    All it takes is some water and vinager in a spray bottle, kills the infected spots almost instantly, work even faster if you spray it on while sunny outside.
    remedy I also use in the house (all natural cleaners).

10. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

That's a good solution (joke, joke). You are using the regular "table vinegar" I guess. This should be the 5% acetic acid content. If you use the cleaning or pickling vinegar with 10% acetic acid undiluted, you will kill the leaves in all probability. The 10% vinegar is what I, & many others, use as a contact weedkiller.

This is depressing talking about mildew on pumpkins...that's Fall. I am still waiting for summer on this cool & cloudy August day! There has essentially been no summer weather this year.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  11. herophant

herophant Member

Yes I use 5% acidity< aple cider vinegar, and its still working great without any damage.
    Sorry to hear about the weather, for me its like everything ids coming early, my pumpkins are almost fully ripend, as well as corn, tomatoes, peppers, sqwash, so much lettuce, and cucmbers I went over board this year when i bought a new house in slc ut.
    thanks for the reply.