Growing from seed

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Unregistered, Aug 28, 2005.

1. I was recently told by a wholesale JM grower that growing many of the varieties of JM's from seed won't work or is difficult, because the seeds will revert back to the basic Acer Palmatum and will not reproduce the desired variety. This is the reason grafting is so common. Is this true?

Thanks.

2. webwolf

webwolf Active Member 10 Years

yes, that's right.
    regards
    Wolfgang

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Whilst very few japanese maples come true from seed, you have every chance of producing a special tree using this method. You may not get an Okagami from an Okagami seed, but you will certainly get a beautiful new plant. This is an example of a tree that came from a seed of Suminigashi grown by myself ... it is the brightest summer red colour in my garden at the moment. I have other very fine examples with different colourations from osakasuki and okagami and bloodgood seeds.

Attached Files:

4. webwolf

webwolf Active Member 10 Years

Hi,
    May be a silly question, but did you use the same methode of preparing the seeds than on ordenary palmatum seeds?
    I have some seeds of red Disectums but were unable to grow them. Is it harder to get them to germinate?
    regards
    Wolfgang

5. Dale B.

Dale B. Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have found that seeds from dissectums have a very low germination rate, with the exception of 'Seiryu'. Seedlings from 'Seriyu' look very much like the parent and germinate well. Most of my dissectum seedlings come from non-dissectum parents. These are just my observations over the last few years while collecting seed and watching what comes up.

Dale