lucky bamboo leaves all turning yellow and dropping

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by omnithought2004, Feb 16, 2007.

1. omnithought2004

omnithought2004 Active Member

i've had my plant for 4 years now and all the leaves are turning yellow and falling if you can tell me what's wrong i'd be greatfull she's only in water thanks omni

Attached Files:

2. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

Firstly, Lucky Bamboo is not a bamboo at all. It is a species of dracaena. The plant needs to be grown in the appropriate soil mixture. The so called lucky bamboo plants are sold with their roots growing in water bowl. Thus the plant does not get proper nutrients. Due to excess of water & lack of nutrition, leaves turn yellow & fall. It is best planted in soil mixture. Keep it in a brightly lit location.

3. mosscampion

mosscampion Active Member

Omnithought, I've read that this plant's leaves can turn yellow both with too much sun exposure and too much fertilization.

Nandan, I have 2 small lucky bamboos (Dracaena) and also keep them in water. I was not aware that they actually prefer soil. What soil mixture do you recommend? Also, do you recommend fertilizing regularly? I've read that over-fertilization can be a problem for this plant. Thanks!

p.s. How fast do these grow...I've had mine for over a year and they haven't grown much at all (both are only about 5 inches tall)...could this be due to living in water the whole time?

4. mosscampion

mosscampion Active Member

One more thought...Lucky Bamboos (like many plants) don't like softened water. I water all my plants with snow/rain water. Mineral build-up (salt for example) can be harmful. This is why I've read over-fertilization can also be a problem for this plant. Additionally, I replace the water in my lucky bamboo's pots once a week. Of course, we haven't determined whether water alone (no soil) is ideal for this plant, so take my advice with a grain of salt (no pun intended). :) Anyone else have ideas on the water vs. soil issue with lucky bamboo??

5. omnithought2004

omnithought2004 Active Member

thank you for all the advice but it's been in water for 4 years and it grew alot but it's lower leaves have dropped it came in a very pretty vase and i'd hate to have to change that it has no hole at the bottom can i still use it with dirt i hurd if i put alot of pebbles at the bottom and then the soil i could use it still is this true or bad idea.

6. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

This plant is quite sturdy. Here around Mumbai, in India, we plant it in garden soil & farm yard manure 1:1 mixture. If planted in this mixture no chemical fertilizers are needed. Ours is a tropical climate. Pot without drainage would not be ideal. Excess water could accumulate & will harm the plant. However, if one water with great care, drainage holes are not ver important. In a terrarium there are no drainage holes.