Peach tree location

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by melon, Sep 26, 2005.

1. melon

melon Member

I have a two year old peach tree that I have to move and I am wondering if they HAVE to be up against a building to grow well. I no longer have that option and I am wondering where the nest best location would be? Thanks, Happy gardening!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I imagine the advice to plant them against a building was to use the heat collected or reflected by the wall. Peaches like warmth, so try to find a good sunny place that is sheltered from the wind.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Building overhang protects from mist and rain. The effect on disease susceptibility can be dramatic, only the shoots extending out from the protection becoming affected.

4. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Melon--I have fought with disease, esp. leaf curl for many years on peach. Only my parent's old tree (variety Rochester) did well, and that was up against a south wall, and largely under the overhang.

Today, we have several leaf curl resistant varieties to choose from. I have concluded that these are the only ones to grow on the coast...I am cutting my Redhaven down and getting one of the resistant ones instead.