"Westcot Apricot" prairie help?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by natnkat, Mar 30, 2007.

1. natnkat

natnkat Member

Hi,

We're just beginning to develop our yard, and would like to plant some fruit trees. We're hoping to add two cherries, two apples (one "Honeycrisp" and one yet-to-be-decided), and now I'm yearning for an apricot. I came from Southern CA, and while I love living in the prairies (N of Saskatoon, SK), I really miss all the different fruits! So can anyone tell me if Westcot Apricot would be a good choice for our zone 3? I found it listed on a BC gov't site of hardy fruit trees for N'ern BC (
    http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/treefrt/homegdn/hardyfruit.htm
    )
    But have had a really hard time finding any suppliers or information about growing it here! Any testimonials? I know apricots are questionable here, but it is listed as hardy to zone 3, and I do have a protected, south facing slope for it to find a home (as well as the cherry cross-pollinators). So if you could help with:
    1) Where to get it?
    2) Is it worth getting? ie, in your experience?
    3) Any other fruit varieties I might be better considering?

Thanks much!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Have a look at the nursery I pointed out in the Sourcing Plants forum to the apricot query. They've a good selection of fruit trees + provide zone information. As to the desirability of 'Westcot', I don't know - I've never been a fan of apricots + I've never tried that one.

3. natnkat

natnkat Member

Thanks, I'd already found them! I can't find any "apricots" listed in their availability at all which is why I hadn't recommended Jeffries on the other post. When we get ready to plant I'll give them a call just to confirm that they don't have any apricots right now. They do have a lovely catalogue, though.

Anybody else know anything about Westcot apricots?