frertilizers for plum trees

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by potred, Mar 31, 2007.

1. potred

potred Member

i planted a victoria plum tree 4 years ago. iam getting plenty of growth with the foliage but i am getting very little flower growth.could anybody give me some advise on how to apply a fertilizer and which one.
    as you can see i am a complete novice at gardening but a willing learner.hope somebody can help. regards JP NOLAN MR.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

May somehow just need to get a bit older, despite having been there four years. Definitely got one with the 'Victoria' scion making up the top and not one where the 'Victoria' died and the seedling rootstock has grown up to take its place? If you got the complete package it should look like others, with a graft union visible somewhere between the roots and the branches.

Sometimes grafted specimens where the scion has died will have the rootstock unwittingly trained into its place, grown on and sold. A seedling rootstock may take years to reach flowering age, whereas a scion taken from a named selection should be ready to flower almost immediately as it has the sexual maturity of the stock plant (as do all other specimens of the same clone).

3. potred

potred Member

thanks for your advise i forgot to mention its planted in clay type soil and wondered whether their is certain fertilizer that i can add to the soil or maybe a lime dressing.

regards JP NOLAN.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Lack of fruiting may not be connected to nutrient deficiency. And clay soils tend to be more fertile than coarser (sandy) soils because they do not leach like those with excessive drainage do.

Soils vary. Sample your soil and have it analyzed to see if there may be a nutrient deficency.

5. potred

potred Member

thank you again for the information will try to what you suggest and will get back to you in the near future as to the outcome have a good week.

regards jpnolan.