Prunus species & the central valley

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by acyvas, Mar 29, 2007.

1. acyvas

acyvas Member

OK , desspitemy local garden center's cautionary tale about wood borers and cherries, I have decided to plant the following species:
    Cerasifera (the one he said was safe and conveniently the only one he sold)
    Yedoensis
    Serrulata

Are these other two species all that vulnerable to wood borers, as I have a Will ow that just died from wood borers, and my cherry blossom tirees are still the best looking in the garden. I did give them a dose of Imidacloroprid after they started budding mjust for good measure. Ther foliag is incredible. My backyard is starting to look like a scene from The Last Samurai (ok maybe a bit of an exaduration).

I guess my real question is: Is it safe to buy more?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't think the use of any pesticide that is moderate to highly toxic to beneficial insects (UC Davis Integrated Pest Management) is justified when done "for good measure".

UC Davis IPM also provides a factsheet on cherry shothole borer, which I'm assuming is the wood borer you are referring to. Generally, you want to make sure the plants are healthy and remain healthy. The problem you may run into with what are likely grafted plants (except for the Prunus cerasifera (a plum, by the way)) is a poor graft, or, eventually, differential growth rates between the graft and scion creating splits in the wood that provide an attractive avenue for attack.

If you've a large local population of borers, though, even healthy trees would find it difficult to naturally resist the borers.

3. acyvas

acyvas Member

I thought all three wer classified as ornamental flowering plums. Now I feel bad because bees have been visiting these trees almost constantly and there has supposedly been a massive drop in the bee population where I live. :(

As far as healthiness, they look great.