sour cherry problems in Minnesota

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by klee, Jul 11, 2009.

1. klee

klee Member

I have a small sour cherry tree that was planted one year ago in the spring. The first year the tree looked great and even produced a handfull of cherries. This spring the tree looked healthy and also produced a few cherries. In the last two weeks, the tree has developed small yellow leaves and the larger leaves are all wilting. There are some open areas(cracks) in the bottom of the tree. We have tried planting three different cultivars over the past five years and they have all met the same demise. Any ideas why this might be occurring?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  2. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

HOwdy Klee,
    Looks like what is locally known as 'gumosis' - a common disease of many stone fruits. It's caused by a bacteria. There is nothing you can do about it other than removing the diseased parts. In your case that means cutting down the entire tree. If you have tried for several years, maybe you should change to other types. The bush types from the University of Saskatchewan may be better. Since they produce multiple stems, removing one or two at the ground level will not be a problem.
    Peace
    Thean

3. klee

klee Member

Thanks for your reply. What causes gumosis? I tried cutting off all but the mainstem in a desperate attempt and it actually looks better. It there anything that I can use to treat it?

4. eclect

eclect Member

I don't know what the problem is with your tree, but I am in Minnesota as well and have tried a few varieties of sour cherry. If you lose the tree and have to get another one, may I suggest Mesabi, developed at the U of M. I found it to have average to good production of higher brix fruit than most. More important, I found it to be particularly disease free over a dozen or so years. (Can't say the same for the Bali/Evans I have now.) Also, look at Carmine Jewel from University of Saskatchewan. Or just consider Nankin bush cherry--one of the better tasting fruit you can grow here.