Leech field landscaping

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by barnswallow, Aug 10, 2007.

1. barnswallow

barnswallow Member

I'm considering purchasing a country house with a lovely pastoral view. The only flaw is that the leech field (currently just lawn) is the main garden space off the back of the house. I understand the limitations (no deep roots, no edibles, not more than 18" soil added, evaporation requirements), but am wondering what others have done in this situation to design an interesting garden. Any pictures or sites you could recommend?

2. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

You have the limitations nailed. Think SHALLOW roots----like grass!.

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

Stay away from trees & shrubs. Perennials, grasses, & bulbs should be fine. Even deep rooted perennials aren't going to have negative impact. Unless you know how deep the tiles are, be careful with the shovel.

4. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hmm, my parents have their veggie garden over their septic field (assume it's not really a field of leeches in your case :-)).

There is some information available on line of recommended and not recommended plants, including trees and shrubs, for such a setting. Willows, for example, are not recommended! There is also something about copper sulphate treatments, I think, that can reduce root penetration. In other words, people are pushing these limitations in many cases.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd not want a veggie garden above something full of copper sulphate treatment!

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Good point - and I may have the name of the chemical wrong. I did not mean that the two should co-exist, and in my parents' case they do not.

7. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Birches are also a problem as was and still is around here a thing called a wisteria tree (some type of Robinia). I have shallow rooted material planted as I am no longer into water wasting lawns. My set up is called "realm drains" think I have spelling right. Fairly deep pipes with pits at one end and a pipe coming just to the surface at the other end like a snorkel so the whole set up can breath.. These pipes are in a bed of gravel (4 of them). The pipes have slits in them to allow overflow water to escape into the ground. The actual septic was pumped out recently for the first time in nearly 20 years and hardly smelt. Was still very healthy with resident worms in the Blanket of decomposed material. So I guess it is ok with the plants as long as the pipes don't get root invasion. Maybe you could do a raised garden around the edge or even on it so it is easily moved if need be.

Liz