In The Garden: Identify this wild pea/bean bush - is it edible

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by randboc, Oct 3, 2011.

1. randboc

randboc Member

This bush type plant randomly started growing in an area that has no ground cover and only has rose bushes near by. We do not usually mulch in this area.
    At first we thought it was a peanut plant because of the leaves and flowers. But as it began to produce long slender bean type fruit, we thought it might just be some sort of pea pod plant.
    In searching the internet, we have not been able to identify it. Please help. I'd like to know the name and if it is edible.

As the pods age they turn brown and create a rattling sound with the peas in side. The peas are compressed and in a row (see pix). I tasted one, not really chewing it, just bitint into it to see if it was bitter or sweet.. no real taste to it. Although when you open a not yet dried pea pod, there is a slight sweet almost citrus smell.

Key characteristics:
    Yellow flowers (prior to bean production)
    60 days or less from seed to fruit production
    asymmetrical leaves (across from each other matching)
    rounded leaves
    long stalk, green branches with pea/bean directly from stem
    brown peas tightly pressed in a line
    bean/pea pod about 5-7 inches in length with 5 peas per inch

Pictures attached:
    pea bush whole gives sense of size (about 3 feet tall and little less than 3 feet in diameter)
    pea bush stem to see symmetrical leaves and shape of leaves and how peas/bean attaches to stem
    opened hull of bean when opened to see peas inside.

I have more pictures, but think this should do it. Seems like a familiar plant, but don't want to eat it if it is poisonous.

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years