trumpet vine

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by jar, Jan 11, 2005.

1. jar

jar Member

Is it possible to start a new vine from a shoot of the trumpet vine

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Jar,

Yes it is, but why in the world would you want to plant this invasive pest? If you want more info, just let me know and I'll explain all, including how to propagate if you still want to. :)

Newt

3. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi Jar and Newt

define trupet vine please . off the top of my head I can think several that go by the local name trumpet vine that are different
    for both of your locales.

Regards Doug

4. Newt

Doug,

So sorry, I usually do that and include the botanical name. Shame on me, but I will plead tired as I'm on the east coast and it's late here. I'm talking about Campsis radicans. Yes, it's a native but can be a disaster in a small garden or a garden bed.

As I said, I would be happy to give more details (from personal experience) if anyone is interested. There was a thread at Garden Web and the title was something like 'The evil vine'.

Newt

5. Scrappy

Scrappy Member

I for one love the trumpet vine. They are sometimes called humming bird vine and bugle bush. I don't know the botanical name for them. I can take a digital photo of them if you like. I have several of the orange one's planted on a fence. I plan on putting out a yellow one as well. I've had these for years and I wouldn't take for them.
    Just my 2 ¢ worth.
    Scrappy

6. Jubie

Jubie Member

Hi Everyone, I'm a newbie to this group. Thought I'd get in on this.
    I believe I have a trumpet vine, but I'm not sure, because we just moved into this place and the vine was here. It is growing like crazy, but I see no flower buds yet. What time of year does this vine bloom anyway? And if you think this plant is invasive, give comfrey a try. You'll regret it! :0(

7. Newt

Hi Jubie,

Welcome and congratulations on your new home! Trumpet vine aka Campsis radicans was the last plant to leaf out in my garden in spring and the first to lose it's leaves in fall. They can take 7 years or more to bloom and tend to start blooming in July depending on your hardiness zone. Is this what you have?
    http://www.floridata.com/ref/c/camp_rad.cfm

That comfrey has lots of friends too! Borage and mint are among them. :)

Newt

8. Scrappy

Scrappy Member

Here is a photo of the one I have. It was 3 years old when it started blooming. It's about 7 years now. I took the photo of the yellow one across town. Here in west Texas mine starts blooming in May and blooms through Aug. It begins to start shedding it's blooms in late Aug.
    Scrappy

Attached Files:

9. Newt

Scrappy, lovely aren't they? That's Campsis radicans. Thanks for posting.

Newt

10. WendyI

WendyI Member

Ok...I'm sticky beakin' in here and I'm new so hope I'm not offending!

I just planted a trumpet vine to grow along my fence. It's a 6 ft. fence with a lattice topper. I just read Newt's post about them being so invasive and now I'm freaking out! LOL!

Please tell me that it will stay on my fence and not kill the rest of my bed? I've planted it behind but close to a small smoke bush that I hope will get large but now I'm worried about the vine being that close. And I was told 2 years before blooming, my garden books say up to 4 and now someone just said 7 years!! Yikes!! That's a long time.

Just how prolific ARE these vines anyway? We plan on adding a timberframe pergola to our future deck and I've already planted a wisteria in anticipation of this. I had also hoped that the trumpet vine would travel 10 or 12 feet from where I planted it, along the fence and then up onto the pergola but not so far as to choke my wisterea, which is about 12 feet away from the fence. Will the trumpet travel that far from it's original location? Can these two vines grow compatibly?? I like the trumpet a lot and LOVE wisteria but it's difficult to bloom in my area (although I have seen it do so).

11. Scrappy

Scrappy Member

A trumpet can be very invasive if planted in the wrong place. I have had one growing on a 6' fence for about 7 years now. I can tell you that the fence is now around 8' lol. It has covered an area on both sides about 4 to 5' on each side. They do come up from the root but when I mow the grass I get rid of them. Each time I mow there's usually a few to cut down. These will tend to crawl under house siding and through any crack they can find. I wouldn't recommend planting them next to any building unless there old unused sheds. I planted my yellow one out in my orchard next to a tall wire trellis. We keep the orchard mowed so it shouldn't cause any problems there. These can be very enjoyable if planted in a good place for them. Mine started to bloom in about 3 years. It may vary in different places.
    Hope this helps
    Scrappy

12. Newt

Hi Wendy,

Not to worry, you just jump in wherever you like. Your vine will stay on the fence once you get it to the top. The invasiveness comes from the root system much more then from the seed. Planted in the appropriate place it's lovely and a great plant for hummingbirds. The problem is when it's planted in a small garden or a flower bed. It should be planted in a wild place or a lawn. Your neighbors on the other side of the fence will have sprouts in a few years. Here's an interesting conversation about it.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/vines/msg0412390618308.html

Here's my story with this vine. I used this method to get rid of trumpet vine - campsis radicans that has a similar root invasion habit to other vines like wisteria and ivy.

When I moved into this house 17 years ago as a renter, I inherited a trumpet vine - campsis radicans. I have learned that it was the last plant to leaf out in the spring and the first to lose it's leaves in the fall. Here's my horror story and what I've learned about this vine. Over time the vine began to bloom and pop up everywhere in the yard. I would pull the sprouts only to find more year after year. When it pops up in the lawn it can just be mowed, but my back and one side is completely surrounded by a stucco wall and is only 18' deep so it's mostly flower beds and a grass path. After 13 years we purchased the house and had to cut down 5 trees and regrade the land due to overplanting and flooding. When we dug up the stumps from the trees and regraded we discovered roots of the vine 3' to 4' deep in the soil, up to 30' from the parent plant and as large around as my wrist! We dug and dug and, well you get the point. A year later we still had sprouts coming up from bits of roots that we'd missed.

Here is how I've learned you can get rid of it. Now, up until this point I had NEVER used herbicides or pesticides in the garden. Here's what I did and you can do to get rid of it. Put about an inch of Round Up Weed and Grass Killer Super Concentrate (you could also use Brush B Gone) in a clear plastic container with a tight fitting lid like you might get at the deli with potato salad. Cut a slit in the lid and insert the tips of the vine in the solution when in active growth (has leaves on it and the leaves need to be in the solution). Leave the vines in the solution for 48 hours and then cut the vines near the lid. To remove the vine from the lid, be sure and take the container to a safe place so that no solution splashes on anything precious. You can reuse the solution until it is all absorbed. Everytime I find a new sprout I do this same procedure. So far in 3 years there have been no sprouts from areas that were treated this way.

Good luck!
    Newt

13. WendyI

WendyI Member

Omigosh!! That plant sounds like a nightmare and I've only just planted it! LOL!

I did plant it in a flower bed and I have no problem with it grown there provided it grows up and does not choke out the plants that I have planted there. Do you think it will climb on my smoke bush eventually and kill it? I also have potentilla, lambs ears (also invasive..yoi!), ground cover seedum and a few other things.

Will trumpet vine grow along the ground then as easily as going up? I also live in Southern Ontario, in Kitchener which is about 80 km's west of Toronto. My zone is 5b (not sure which hardiness map that comes from tho!) and I can grow things here that my friend in Guelph (20 min. east of me) cannot. How aggressive will the vine be in this climate?

14. Newt

Wendy, the vine will grow along the ground if it falls off the fence. It likes to cling to things and gets little rootlets that help it hang on to whatever surface it attaches to. Some vines cling like that, others send out little stem-like projections that wrap around something, while others just lay on top. What you will have to deal with is that eventually the UNDERGROUND roots will send up sprouts in your flower bed. The root system of the vine you planted will eventually grow as far as 30 feet or more UNDERGROUND and send up those sprouts. You will have to pull them up and they will grow again and again and again... It's your choice. You can put it in an ABOVE GROUND pot like in the post I gave you to read. Otherwise the roots will find their way out of the drainholes in a buried pot. I don't think you have too much to worry about with your smoke bush. You can always pull it off. Trumpet vine blooms on the current year's growth, so cutting it back will keep the top manageable without forsaking blooms. It will bloom when the root system gets mature enough.

If you cut off the spent blooms of the lamb's ears they won't seed around as much. At least with those there isn't an extensive underground root system that will pop up everywhere.

Newt

15. Dillon

Dillon Member

I commented about Monkey Puzzle a little while ago but I will add my 2 cents on this as well. I love to see this vine but unsure if I want it in my yard after talking to a guy that has some nice orange as well as yellow. I saw one several years ago that nearly covered a house and thought it looked pretty cool. The house is no longer there. I saw one that climbed a telephone pole and twice as far up into a tall evergreen...no longer there. I talked to the guy and he has them trained up poles in his front yard that really look nice. His take is this. They are invasive. He said they don't twine naturally so he had to train them up the poles. They bloom from June to frost here so look nice but he keeps his in check. He said they sprout all over the yard but he takes care of that with regular mowing and uses Round-up on the volunteers that come up elsewhere. He assured me he removed the seed pods because he didn't like the look so they aren't volunteer seedlings. He prunes them back in the fall like pollarding a tree or training a Wisteria into a tree and they always bloom the next year on new wood but his are tree trunk sized. The orange stretches up to the sun and the yellow hangs down so you have a separate color instead of a mix. People pull over and knock on his door to ask what kind of tree it is because they want one. It isn't for the lazy gardener. You need to keep it in check but his make it look like it's worth the bother if you're willing to go to the extra trouble. If you have the space away from the house just let it ramble where it wants but heed this advice if you want it in your yard.

Dillon

16. WendyI

WendyI Member

Hmmmm...Ok..I think I'm going to have to re-think my trumpet! LOL! I certainly don't want to upset my neighbors who are only 6 ft away from me on either side and bordering my back yard as well.

Can you tell me if it will over winter in a pot if left outside? Or will thaw and re-freeze damage it as in most other plants?

17. Newt

Wendy, it looks to me like you are in zone 5b. If so I would suggest that you put it in something like a half whiskey barrel. You might want to put either leaves piled all around and on top for the winter or use straw. I'm in 7b and plants survive that way for us without the leaves for insulation.

Newt

18. Hi,

I just planted a trumpet vine in a container along a fence and the leaves seem to have a brownish tint to them (brown viens). Can anyone tell me if this is from over or under watering or something else?

Thanks.

19. Newt

Hi Ackerman,

I would think overwatering could be a possibility. Since you haven't registered I have no way of knowing if you will return for your answers so I won't be able to spend time searching the net for you. You could google with terms such as:
    Campsis radicans + disease

Newt

20. auldsport

auldsport Member

Everything I have read about the invasiveness of trumpet vine seems to be true. I inherited the one in my yard, and initially tried to keep it under control. After the third year of battling it, my mother in law expressed a fondness for it, and I was compelled to let it grow for one summer and bloom. BIG MISTAKE! We just put in a patio on the other side of the house and guess what i found - trumpet vine! It has gotten all the way under and around our house. Any day now it might pick up our house and toss it into the river. I am beginning a process to kill it using total vegetation killer. I put the concentrate directly on the cut roots. I hope it works!

21. Newt

Hi Auldsport,

I sympathize with you! Do read my post on this thread from July 31st as to how to get rid of it. I did find some new sprouts this year. Keep in mind that it's best to do this when the vine is in active growth so it can take the herbicide down into the roots. You will probably have to wait until spring when it starts to leaf out.

Good luck,
    Newt

22. auldsport

auldsport Member

Thanks for your support Newt. I had read your comments and winced when i read the part about active growth.... I already chopped it all off! Cursing at it with each slice too I might add. We shall see. I was really alarmed when I put my hand down in the dirt to see what the density of the root system was like - its a sold mass of roots - i couldnt even wiggle a finger into it, and they are tiny. The foundation is infested in a major way. I don't know how old the vine is, but it has its hooks in my house for good I fear.

23. Newt

Not to fear. It will happily send up new shoots next year!!!

Newt

24. tippinthru

tippinthru Member

Thanks for posting the picture, Scrappy!

25. Erica

Erica Active Member

I've got to ask.....
    That yellow "trumpet vine" picture looks like morning glory. Is it the same thing? Because I have had enough of that #$%#%ing plant. I was looking for a fast growing flowering vine as well and was planning to plant it this summer.
    Thanks