japanese maple tree sudden leaf wilt

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Judybill42, Apr 25, 2008.

1. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

underwatered! :-)

2. John Hosie

John Hosie Active Member

Looks like it is just leaf burn. I've got some trees with it, and others without. It is a matter of how each tree reacts to the sun. (For instance, I have a "Butterfly" where nearly every leaf it burned, and it gets about 2 hours direct sun in morning and afternoon each. But I have a Crimson Queen and an Emperor I both that have not burned at all. Baby Lace, Chantilly Lace, and Fairy Hair all need shade/dappled sunlight to avoid the burn. In their cases, they are so finely leaved that it doesn't take much sun to burn them all off. Koto no Ito is also one that burns easily. But there are many varieties that don't.

If you don't like the burn, just clip off the leaves (don't touch the branches) and in about two weeks they will be all leafed out again - assuming they are not over-stressed.

New trees often burn, too, because they are in a good deal of stress to start with. So if you give them a chance to adjust with some shade they may do a little better. I have found a bamboo fence - about 25 ft long - from Home Depot can be readily deployed with a few stakes to increase the shade for a while. Not sure if others have better ideas of what to do. But this seems to work for me.

3. michelle winkel

michelle winkel Member

Thank-you both! I've given it a deep root 60 minute soak and an umbrella for a few days... Will report back!
    Michelle

4. Bubbasweet

Bubbasweet Member

They are both leaf less again, the new growth had dries up and fell off slowly...... Trunks still look healthy, Green and happy. Bald trees. Huh? Great....

Oh well here's hoping for next year. I am going to pull them out of the wind next year when they first sprout. Other than that not sure what else I could have done.

5. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

This was a bad summer I think. All of mine are looking pretty bad. The ones that have been in the ground for more than a year are doing ok, a little leaf burn and starting to drop some leaves early but overall seem pretty healthy. Almost all the ones I planted this year have lost most of the leaves except the larger 10 & 15 gallon ones seem a little better. Actually most of the smaller ones lost the most leaves within a couple weeks of planting and then the rest slowly through the summer. I'm not sure what else I could of done. I'm blaming it on a crapy hot dry summer, not just for jms but for most trees. I've seen so many around here that didn't make it. I'm sad I won't get much of a fall show but I'll be happy as long as they leaf out in spring. Good luck with yours.