Help with my Tangerine tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Billy, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Billy

Billy Member

I have a beautiful Tangerine tree. It has to be at least ten years old and is about 20 ft. high. I live in Italy and the tree is located on the east side of my house which protects it from the sea wind about a mile away. It gets plenty of sun. I pruned and airated it last year and it is full and seems very healthy. The problem is after it produces what seems to be hundreds of fruit, they get to be about 1" in diameter and the majority of them fall off. Is this normal and if not what can I do. I have never used any fertilizer could this be the problem?

2. lemon_dreams

lemon_dreams Active Member

It IS normal to have a lot of fruit drop only 1-3% of the fruit will reach maturity.

as for fertilizing, it is something you should do. as I grow my trees in pots, someone will come along that is better able to answer that part of your question

3. Billy

Billy Member

Phew! I thought for sure it had some rare European disease. Thank you for that.

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

There is a period of fruit drop for all citrus varieties, especially Navel Oranges, known as "June Drop", even though it does not necessarly occur in the month of June. Higher fruit drop occurs commonly following warm dry periods. The typical June drop is largely caused by the strain on the plant resulting from low humidity, and most importantly dry weather, which leads to excessive transpiration and loss of water by the tree. As a result of this condition fruit abscission is stimulated. From the begining of bloom untill fruit size of 1 inch keep the tree well watered. However, do not over water, but don't let the tree be stressed for water. Water stress is a MAJOR reason for bloom failure, and fruitlet drop. Never fertilizing your tree also adds to the tree's stress. It would be important to fertilize your tree one month prior to to the average blooming date in your area. This alone will increase the amount of fruit that the tree is able to retain. - Millet

5. Billy

Billy Member

That certainly makes sense. June was an exceptionally dry month out here. Now that the fruit is developing is there any fertilizer that is good to sustain this development? You mention prior to the bloom next season what is a good fertilizer for that period?

6. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

The goal of the fertilizer program for fruit bearing trees is to replace nutrients removed with the fruit and to provide enough nutrients to sustain continued tree growth. Many different fertilizer formulation are available for use on dooryard cirus trees. For outdoor, in ground planted trees look for formulations such as 6-6-6, 8-8-8 or 10-10-10 WITH TRACE MINERALS. As a rule of thumb, fertilize an area twice the diamerter of the tree canopy. For mature bearing trees on well drained soils three applications of fertilizer per year are sufficient. One is the spring, one in the summer and one early in the fall (Sept. 1st), and none during the winter. When using a 6-6-6 formulation, apply 6-lbs. fertilizer per tree per application. 8-8-8 apply 4 1/2-lbs. per tree per application. 10-10-10 apply 3-lbs. per tree per application. I have been to Italy many times, wonderful country, I always enjoy my visit every time. Good luck with your tree. - Millet