Question on "Part Shade" and perennials

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Freyja, May 1, 2009.

1. Freyja

Freyja Active Member

Hello,

I have an area that I classify as "part shade", as it only gets about 4 hours of direct sunlight (maybe a bit more at the height of summer) starting from about 11:00am.

I am looking for a few perennials for this area, but was wondering if direct sunlight during the hottest part of the day will be too much for traditional "part shade" or "shade" plants (such as hosta, astilibe, heuchera, etc.), even though the mornings and afternoons will bring shade.

Does "part shade" usually mean filtered shade, or is it ok to have direct, hot sunlight beating down for a while, as long as it isn't all day?

Thanks.

2. monkeytreeboy15

monkeytreeboy15 Member

I have a campanula that grows in an area where it gets about 2-3 hours of direct sunlight during the summer, and it does great. It comes back every year! You might want to try one of those.

3. Mister Green

Mister Green Active Member

In my limited experience with partial shade plants, I have noticed that there is a wide range of partial shade plants with varying types of sunlight needs. Some seem to prefer constant partial shade and some seem to prefer limited hours of direct sun like what you're describing. Long story short, hostas and astilbes should thrive in your area.