Ponytail palm went through a freeze....

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Lynifer007, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Lynifer007

Lynifer007 Member

I need help. I just aquired a ponytail palm from my parents house in AL. The palm is around 26 years old. This winter my parents moved from AL to CA, leaving the palm in AL with my elderly Grandmother. She was unable to move the palm inside due to it's weight and the palm suffered through the freezing temperatures. My husband and I drove to AL from FL to save this palm. It's not looking so good but I have hope. It's base is hard but the stalk gets soft as gets to the top. The top has wilted down and all the green is now brown and falling off. It looks bad but I have hope that with the FL weather it will be okay. I need to know what to do to help it survive. Please help!!

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

I'm not sure there is anything you can do now (except possibly wait and hold off on water). It may just have gotten too cold (or wet) and be gone. How awful!

3. James D.

James D. Active Member

Just keep it until it survives or there is no hope left, wait up to a year for it to do something. i greenhouse i worked at had a freeze out last winter with the temperature going down to -16 degrees celcius and surprisingly some things even survived that even when we thought there would be no hope.good luck and i hope it gets better.