Separating 3 ponytail plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by plasticplantkiller, May 13, 2006.

1. plasticplantkiller

plasticplantkiller Member

I purchased a ponytail plant from a florist. It is about 3 feet tall, including the pot. There are 3 bulbs, each about the size of a baseball. I would like to separate these into individual pots, but fear I will kill them all. Hopefully someone can tell me what to do.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

You may have a hard time separating them. I once bought a 4" pot containing some six pea-sized bulbs. Their roots were much intertwined even at that young age. Having said that I wonder if it's possible to use a knife to simply cut the roots between the bulbs. Perhaps adult plants can withstand this treatment just for the fact that they have roots on the bulb in areas away from the cut. This is just speculation.

3. plasticplantkiller

plasticplantkiller Member

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Say a prayer for them, they're going to need it.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Brave indeed! I think it would be prudent to keep the plants out of high heat and direct sun until they've had a chance to recover. Good luck.