I need help identifying this plant!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by countrybumpkin, Nov 3, 2010.

1. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin Member

Hello!

I found this plant in full bloom on November 1st. I live in east central Indiana. We have already had several hard frost and maybe a freeze, but this plant was in front of a porch so could have been protected. The owners have no idea what it is. I believe it to be a perennial.

The plant has bluish-green foliage, a 1" diameter violet flower similar to an aster and the base of the plant is woody. It was approximately 18-24" tall with new growth showing around the woody base. The base of the flower reminds me of a thistle, but there are no thorns on this beauty!

I am attaching pictures, but the color is a little off. The foliage is a little more blue and the flower a little more purple.

I would appreciate all the help I can get!

Thanks in advance, Jeanne

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Could it be a variety of chrysanthemum?

3. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin Member

Hi, thanks for your input!

I don't THINK is is a chrysanthemum. The leaves look more like the leaves on rosemary...very narrow and about 1 to 1.5" long, except they are shorter closer to the bloom.

It reminds me the most of an aster, but I haven't found one just like it yet.

Thanks, Jeanne

4. togata57

Well, the chrysanthemum IS in the family Asteraceae...

Fear not: I am certain that one of our members will soon have this beauty IDed. What a gorgeous color! Must be especially striking at this time of year.

Hmm. Also reminds me of another member of Asteraceae: chicory (Chicorium intybus).

5. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin Member

Okay, I didn't realize they were in the same family! Thanks for the info.

Chicory I know well..........tough weed, but very attractive!

Yes, it was in an RV campground that was virtually deserted, growing off the side of someone's deck. It caught my eye immediately because most what we are seeing now is brown!!!! It must have had 30-40 little blooms on it! The cutting I took has been in water since Monday and still looks good. I am wondering about dipping it in rooting hormone and planting it to see if it will root. I have been saving the dried flower heads, but not sure if what I am seeing is a seed or not.

What is your thought on planting it?

6. togata57

Go for it! Any plant that looks this good at this time of year would be welcome in my garden!

Any chance you could dig up a WHOLE PLANT??? I mean, if it's legal and all, and not someone's private property.---Growing alongside someone's deck...could you ask the resident if they know anything about the plant? Perhaps seeds from the original plant blew off onto the ground. ??? Good opportunity to ask them for permission to dig up a plant!

7. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin Member

I agree that anything that looks that good at this time of year would be welcome in my garden, too! Unfortunately, the flower is planted at an RV park at a lake and the residents have all left now. I own an RV business and my partner and I were winterizing the RV next to this one. Of course, I was looking around and checking out plants (habit!) when I saw this one. I am going to try planting it and also sowing some seeds, maybe a few now and more in the spring in my greenhouse. I hope I can get something to grow.....it was just so lovely sitting there among the dead or dying neighboring plants!

Unfortunately there was just the one plant so digging the whole thing up might be a little conspicuous! I even checked the little new growth, but it was tucked down amid the branches so I couldn't even dig one of those up!

I sure hope I can get this thing going and find out what it is!!!! My friend mentioned maybe some type of heirloom plant?????

8. karenbarnett

karenbarnett Member

I have no clue what it is.... but down here in Arkansas there is a look-a-like but it has a blue flower. My first thought on the one here was Chicory.... but no. The leaves are entirely different. I have it marked and am waiting it out, seeing what happens in Spring. I will collect seed heads when the stems turn brown.

Your leaves and the leaves on the blue flowering plant are identical. This one in South Arkansas is growing in what was a yard at an abandoned home site. Poor soil, partial sun, normal water.

9. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin Member

Cool, do you have any pictures?

Mine I know is not chicory. Chicory grows freely around here as a weed, pretty, but still a weed!

Hope you find out what yours is!

10. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't know what this one is either. The blue flowered plant might be catananche, cupid's dart, which this flower looks similar to.

11. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin Member

Still trying to figure this one out.

I dipped it in rooting hormone and planted it, but I don't think it will make it. I think I have some seeds, so that is the next step.

Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?

12. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If this is a perennial plant that can be grown from cuttings in a typical way non-flowering shoots taken earlier in the year, before flowering would be the most likely to root.

Otherwise the crown could be divided at a suitable time for the species.

13. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin Member

Thanks for your input Ron B! I just discovered this plant a few weeks ago and will definitely be checking it out in the spring! Just had to try to get a start, even if it was the wrong time of year.

I sure hope someone can come up with the flower's name though. I would love to research it further, but don't know what the heck it is! I just know it was stunning amid all the dead or dying plants around it!