Idea for shrub in bed?

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by flowercents, Mar 7, 2006.

1. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

I have a rectangular bed that is about 10 feet long, next to the south side of our garage. On the right end is a rose Hansa, and I have a few perennials in the middle, and I am looking for a plant for the left side. Should it be another rose to balance the one on the right side? Should it be the same color as the one on the right side? I'd appreciate any suggestions. The ground is moist here except in the summer, zone 7/8.

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Balancing colors and size in a 10 ft. bed is worth working because it is generally pleasing to the eye. You could try achieving 'balance' through the color OR the shape. For example, you could balance the size/shape with another Rose of similar size such as Blanc Double de Coubert (white) or Martin Frobisher (pale pink) or with color (and probably a bit of size) such as a Lavatera 'Kew Rose'. Some plants seem to 'complement' Roses especially well - some known ones are Nepetas (purples), Hardy Geraniums (blues, pinks, purple and white), Dianthus, Lavenders, Viola cornutas, and Agastache. You might also consider some variety in when the plants bloom so you extend your season of interest in the bed. Generally Try to have 2 of most perennials so it has a cohesiveness and not a polka dot look. One each of the rose or shrub is ample as they have presence on their own.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Matching identical pairs called for only when front of structure behind geometrically symmetric, with the same pattern repeated throughout. If you your backdrop isn't as uniform as a chess board use a small shrub and a medium shrub on the other end, to balance the large shrub ('Hansa') instead of duplicating it. If summer bloom is the theme maybe something like a lavender and a potentilla, or...