Calamondin in failing health

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by aesir22, Jan 8, 2009.

1. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question about my calamondin. It doesn't seem as perky as usual lately! I have had it a year now, and has always been one of my favourites as it was one of my first citrus! It isn't so much a tree as it is three stalks that make it look more bushy.

Over the last year it has grown quite well, flowered, fruited, and is flowering again. It has always been nice and glossy green and happy. But now it seems to be going limp. The leaves look dull. It has even dropped a few leaves which are not yellowing, but a slightly paler green. The potting mix doesn't seem to be drying as fast as usual. It has also started flowering quite a bit, which I am somewhat worried about as I fear this might mean the roots are very stressed.

It has received the same care as my other citrus indoors , which are all doing great. I have only had 4 leaves fall from one of my limes with WLD since september...everything is flourishing.

Could this be a root issue, and if so, should I maybe think about repotting? The mix it is in is a mix of 'bonsai compost' and bark chips. It has been in this since around August. Watering is done properly, as with all of my citrus, and feeding, though slightly reduced for winter, is with a 25-5-12.5 NPK with trace elements fertilizer. As well as a monthly spray of epsom salt in water solution as usual. It is in a bright, south facing window all day with my other citrus.

Any ideas what my course of action should be?

Thanks in advance!

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Root rot was the first thing I thought of. It's easy enough to confirm or discount. I would ease the tree out of the pot, while keeping the rootball intact, and look at the condition of the roots.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

The growth medium in the container, how far down in inches has it compacted from the level the medium was when you first planted the tree or received the tree? The longer length of time the medium is staying wet, could be from compaction of the soil (low oxygen, high soil CO2, wet), or it could be from the winter months. - Millet

4. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I had suspected root issues and, since I am off work, will see if I can confirm it. It isn't a root ball, so to speak lol. I think it was a rooted cutting and when I repotted there weren't many roots there though they were all healthy.

I will take a look today, and repot if necessary. I have the kitty litter I use on my bonsai (its fired clay that doesn't degrade, a bit like turface I think) I also have some 'citrus' compost. It is mostly peat based so not suitable to use alone. It is very very slightly acidic with perlite and course sand. What ratio of kitty litter to compost do you think would be ideal?

Thanks for your help so far. I will take a pic of the roots when I get them out of the pot.

Dan

5. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Dam forgot to take a pic lol.

The calamondin was repotted...along with another calamondin and a lemon. I bought the lemon and the ill calamondin at the same time. When I repotted them originally, they both had extremely small root systems. Less than half the size of a clenched fist. The lemon has grown remarkably well, huge root ball compared to what it had! The calamondin, however, looked only very slightly larger, though I have had fruit and foliage growth over the past 12 months. Most odd.

The roots looked to be healthy enough. I don't think they were rotten - there was no evidence - but the soil definitely needed changing. I lost a few of the roots in the repotting, just from gently lifting the plant out of the potting mix. I suspect these delicate roots may have rotted slightly since I didn't even touch them and they fell off!

The mix was quite wet and claggy, definitely not ideal or as free draining as when first used. I have replaced with the new mix - 70/30 kitty litter to citrus compost. I hope this stimulates good root growth. A coupe of leaves, the paler ones lower down, have fallen off. Think it will be a waiting game from here!

How long should I wait until starting with fertilizer again? Have always thought it best to wait, but have read of others who just carry on as normal with no damage.

Hope it perks up a bit, would hate to lose it! Not lost any of my 16 citrus in the last year, would be a shame to lose one now lol!

6. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

It still isn't look too happy. It has dropped more leaves, it has a couple of flower buds growing bu they haven't changed in the last two weeks. Leaves are falling from low down on the little plant, and from the ends of the branches (I say branches, but they are only small lol) The leaves used to be full and perky, now they're limp, dull and some are curling in (Have checked thoroughly every few days for signs of pests and have found absolutely nothing.)

Any idea what I should do? Just wait for spring and cross my fingers?

Thanks all for your help so far.

7. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Have added a couple of pics. Some of the leaves look a little pale at and around the veins.

Attached Files:

8. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

And a final pic...the tray it is on is never usually there, just gave it stability when taking the pic (needed a white background, only place to easily get it was behind my bed lol)

Attached Files:

9. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Well, it seems.....stable. Lol

Dropped majority of its leaves - has about a dozen left. A few days back they were all curled and dry and brittle, but they seem smoother and fuller and softer now. Must have been a root issue. It had been dropping a leaf or two daily for aaaaages, but hasn't dropped one in three days now. Just hope its ok and is starting to get over its bout of illness!