Amaranthus tricolor or Joesph's coat

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by JenRi, Jan 31, 2009.

1. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Hi everyone,

I've found some seeds for this plant on ebay and have kind of fallen in love with it, only problem is I think its meant to be grown outside, it doesn't seem a very popular plant as i couldn't find much information online, I did find out apparantely that it's preferred temp range is between 16C-29C (60F-85F) so I don't know if it would even be happy outside in the summer in the UK.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience growing this plant indoors, or if not people's opinions on whether it could be grown inside? Also how easy is it to get seeds from these plants, they're (usually) annuals and I don't want to keep on buying seeds every year.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I have not had a lot of luck with this plant in Vancouver (I tried the yellow cultivar, can't remember the name, 'Aurora' maybe). I did not have a lot of luck growing other amaranths in Seattle either, which also has a cool summer climate. My main problem was getting them established. I think if you can start them indoors and pamper them a bit, you could get a nice display in your summer garden. I think they do better in hot summers.

3. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Thanks for your help....I was a bit wary of them, they're so pretty I figured there must be a reason they weren't so popular!

Do you think they would be alright only getting bright light and not sun? My other variegated plants seem to do well without any sun....

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

No. Definitely full sun and heat.

I have seen these doing very well in warm summer areas of eastern North America.

5. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Okay.....so even if I could grow them in a south facing window, I'd have to wait until it was warmer anyway? I might wait until I'm home for Easter and plant them then, it'll be warmer in Nottingham anyway.

Thanks so much for your help:)