Santa Rosa Plum

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by IslandGirl, Apr 23, 2007.

1. IslandGirl

IslandGirl Member

Plum Tree

Last fall I planted 1 Elephant Heart Plum and 1 Satsuma plum. I assumed the two would pollinate each other. Unfortunately, the Satsuma started blooming about a week ago and the Elephant Heart is just now budding and still probably 10 days off from flowering. All the research I have done says to buy a Santa Rosa to pollinate both, but since they are on such different bloom cycles, how will the santa rosa pollinate both? This may be a stupid question, but can I just buy one more each of the satsuma and elephant heart so everything is guaranteed to bloom with a pollinator blooming at the same time, or better still, is it likely that in another year, my two existing trees will get in sync with their blooming cycles and the elephant heart and satsuma will pollinate each other which was my original intent. I hardly have room for one, let alone two more plum trees in our backyard.

Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Look at a plum pollination chart and plant what crosses with one another. Duplicates of same variety don't result in cross-pollination.