Fruit trees

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by KimJ, Apr 16, 2007.

1. KimJ

KimJ Member

I am interested in planting a fruit tree in my front yard in Richmond-east facing sunny location. Is there a variety that is best suited for our climate, disease resistant, prolific, etc?? I am thinking apple but it needn't be.

2. Amelie d'Anjou

Amelie d'Anjou Member

Richmond, VA? Lots of stuff should grow there. You could easily grow apples -- there's all sorts of nifty varieties not available in grocery stores. It would be good if there's another apple tree in the neighborhood though, if you want fruit. And a different variety - for pollination.

Speaking of which, I have a question on fruit tree pollination, specifically, pears.
    I have 5 diff. varieties of pears planted, but only one with flower buds. Can it pollinate with one of those ornamental pears? There are 2 of those blooming across the street.
    Thanks,
    Amelie

3. KimJ

KimJ Member

Sorry, Richmond, BC Canada

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Apple trees are easiest. Cross-pollination required. Plant more than one variety, choosing those that are cross-compatible. Nurseries here stock multiple-graft ("combo" or "_-way") specimens for those who want only one.