Germinating Question.

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Parrot Lady, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Parrot Lady

Parrot Lady Member

Hi all,

I would like to try to germinate various Palm seeds, but I am having a hard time finding the answer to a reletively basic question..

My question is: do seeds require light for germination, and if so, how much?

The reason I ask is because I have a large, very efficient incubator used for incubating parrot eggs, and I thought that this could be very useful in germinating seeds. It keeps the temperature and humidity EXACTLY where you want it right down to the tiniest fractions of fluctuations. The cabinet has a clear door for viewing, but the light doesnt work.. It is very difficult to find the right parts to fix the light because it is from Germany. Anyway, should I place a hydroponic light in front of the door for light?

Thanks so much

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Lady,

It depends on which seed as to whether it needs light to germinate. Some do and some don't. I would think that most palm seeds do as they are large and just fall on the ground. Smaller ones often go through the digestive system of animals. You should find this site helpful.
    http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/palmindex.htm

If they need light and the incubator is dark, then I would think a light would help. Just be careful not to raise the temperature with the light.

Newt