Wildflowers: ID close to a river plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by arnoldpredator, Aug 18, 2014.

1. arnoldpredator

arnoldpredator New Member

Hello,

Recently I got two cameras, one normal, and the other is like a kind of digital microscope.

Hopefully that will help identifying plants, I have taken some pictures to a plant and uploaded them to dropbox, hopefully you will be able to download them and see what the plant is.

The plant was found in Spain, 900 meters high, summer with very hot temperatures.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gi0s63zd4kttbf6/planta.zip?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gi0s63zd4kttbf6/planta.zip

There are two pictures with approximate sizes, and the general photos show a plant that is more than 2 meters tall.

I don't know if it is enough to identify a plant or if I should take photos to other specific parts.

Let me know if you need extra information to identify them.

It would be interesting too, if you say how you identified the plant, What characteristics did you use to do it?

Thanks folks!

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Arnold, a 28mb four-minute download is too large to ask people to save on their computer to look at your photos. I don't know how many photos that is. How about selecting four or so photos and uploading them here. See How to Attach Photos and other files.
    You get 7.8mb for each photo and the system will reduce the filesize to the display quality, or you can reduce them first to reduce the upload time.

3. arnoldpredator

Ok, I will do it. I just tried to bring more information to make it easier the identification.

There are 19 photos and I resized them in order to have a reasonable size, maybe the problem is Dropbox which is very slow. Normally today you can download files at 1mb per second which means you would only need 19 seconds.

I will upload here the best 4 pictures and I will look for another faster server.

Thanks for your reply.

edit:

Just two comments, in the 5th picture I cut the middle section to show what was inside.
    In the 6th one you can see the top of the plant that has not yet developed onto a violet flower.

Attached Files:

4. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

Might be a Liatris.

5. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

6. Silver surfer

Pic 1.The general shot is your pic ...that was the most helpful..

Sadly with the naked eye, none of us ever see as much detail as your pics showed ..so therefore it did not help at all.
    Also in removing the flowers, laying them flat you altered the look of the petals.

Usually 3 pics are enough..a good pic of the whole plant , a good one of a single flower, plus one of the leaves.

2. I have added close ups that I took of the flowers.
    It clearly shows the number, colour, shape of petals, the stamens and stigma...as well as other unopened buds and the way the flowers are arranged on the stem.
    3. This is my pic which shows mature leaves..the leaf shape, the veins as well as the square stem..also importantly that the leaves are opposite each other.
    Helpful for id.
    No fancy equipment....Just a small compact Canon Ixus using the macro setting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  7. arnoldpredator

Thanks for your answer.

Liatris is the family of Asteraceae, and it is different to the family Lythraceae, Is that right?

Yes it is very similar, I see that there are a lot of plants in that family. How do you know it is that one and none of the others? Are you confident that the name you wrote is the right one or maybe there are two or three candidates that could be?

Thanks for that advice. I will try to take similar photos showing leaves, flowers, general plant and if I see an special detail or something.

I apologize for the bad quality of my photos which only shows how ignorant I am.

Until this week I only had a bad phone with a poor camera, now it will be easier bringing photos to the forum.

It is really important to know exactly the name because I want to use them if they are edible, that is why I asked.

Can you explain the identification process? Do you use software or a specific book? Or do you have a wide knowledge and a good memory?

Thanks to all the answers, I really appreciate them now that my knowledge is so poor.

8. Silver surfer

Everyone starts without any knowledge.
    Just take it gently.
    You will get to learn more.

I hope someone else will confirm my id for your peace of mind.
    Taking photos and labelling them helped me to really look at plants.

9. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

The first image sort of looked like a Liatris. I saw the opposite leaves, however, and did not remember any Liatris being opposite, but did not look it up. Then there is a possibility of those being sub-opposite, which is not opposite, but only appears to be opposite. Confused yet?

10. Silver surfer

11. arnoldpredator

I have found two books talking about flowers in my country, I will try to use them as much as possible and if I struggle I will come here with some pictures.

Yes I think it helps looking at details.

I am more confused than before because I don't know what sub opposite means... but I like your message since it shows what you were looking for in order to identify the plant.

Thanks!

That website is amazing, the quality on those pictures is very good. I will try to do something at least useful to identify them, that for me is more than enough.

With my 20 dollar "digital microscope" I don't think I can achieve those results.

Thanks for the link!