Do I call this the "Oh S---" Pear tree?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by rykeybear, Aug 29, 2009.

1. rykeybear

rykeybear Member

A couple of years ago I was told we had a pear tree out in the back of our property by a fellow who was clearing some brush for me.
    Because of all the trees, blackberries etc I had not noticed one.
    A couple of years I was clearing a path to walk my dogs through the tall grass and weeds with my small tractor/mower when I came across the pear tree.
    As I came up next to the tree I noticed a huge wasp nest the size of a basketball hanging from one of the lower branches. Just then because of the tall thick grass, my tractor died!! My first thought was "Oh s---!!".
    Luckily I was able to get the tractor going before the wasps took too much notice of me.

The next year the tree produced quite a few pears and this year again.
    However I am not sure of the variety, their use and the proper time to harvest them.
    Last year I waited until they had a decent colour but when you bite into them the are quite "powdery" and taste somewhat bitter. I tried one earlier this season and it is very bitter.
    I think it might be a kieffer pear because of the appearance but I still don't know when to harvest or what to do with it.
    Any insight and information is greatly appreciated.
    Barring that I'll just call it the "Oh s---" pear.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Might be a local fruit show coming up you could bring six sample fruits to, for identification.

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years