Willow tree

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Josiane, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Josiane

Josiane Member

Our high bank waterfront property in Madeira Park B.C. is facing south and is slipping slowly down due to a water problem. We were advised to plant willow trees on the slope as willows trees need lots of water. There are different types of willow trees and we are wondering what type we should buy. The tree should not grow too big.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

This being an adequate solution highly doubtful. You probably need to address the seepage more forcefully and directly, such a with a drainage system and wall. When banks slip here trees and other vegetation go skating right off along with everything else. Few, if any anchoring roots will grow down into an airless clay layer that is also deflecting water and causing it to move horizontally. On many sites here when big trees blow over the bottom of their root systems is flat.

3. oscar

oscar Active Member

Bamboo......just thinkin out loud here.......long used in Japan for soil stability....reed beds or rushes.....i cant even picture what you mean, so i could be miles out with my suggestions oO