Wildflowers: 2 mysteries found by goats

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by NoseyGoat, Sep 15, 2014.

1. NoseyGoat

NoseyGoat New Member

These two plants were found by some goat kids and nibbled on so I need to know the level of toxicity if any.

This first one was found next to my raspberries, last year they grew next to some squash and corn. Never seen it before but may be something sprouting from the hay we buy.

It grows about 4 feet doesnt really flower, just the little ball seeds you see. It gets striped thick but hollow stems that bend easy. Kind of like tomato stems.

The second was found only with my raspberries, its about three feet high, heart shaped leaves and white flowers that bloom in clusters and the clusters only seem to bloom from the top of individual leaves. The veins of some of the leaves look red.

Sorry if the quality of the pics seem poor, I only have my cell to take pic with for the time being.

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like Chenopodium and Houttuynia to me. Both of those would be safe to eat.

3. NoseyGoat

NoseyGoat New Member

THANKS SO MUCH FOR SUCH A QUICK RESPONSE!

So this Chenopodium is related to quinoa? Can these seeds be harvested and prepared like quinoa?

4. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

#2 looks like Fagopyrum.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think Tyrlych's answer looks right for the second, the flowers do not look right for Houttuynia.

I am fairly certain of the first. Looks like Chenopodium album, which is a very common weed. The young leaves can be eaten like spinach. I don't know about the seed, I have not heard of people eating them.

Apparently the seed is eaten, but it can be high in saponins, so needs to be prepared properly.

http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Chenopodium+album

6. NoseyGoat

NoseyGoat New Member

THANKS! this makes sense, some sort of buckwheat because I am pretty sure this is growing from the left over hay and the images I am finding are a perfect match

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The seeds won't be any problem for goats though. They are also a very valuable food for chickens (hence the English name, Fat-hen) and other birds.