Identification: Himalayan fungi

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by alok, Feb 28, 2010.

1. alok

alok Member

Hi,
    This is my first post in the forum. I am trying to identify the fungi found around my area. I am attaching the photographs with this query. The forests around are predominantly Himalayan cedar or Cedrus deodara.
    Thank you
    Alok

Attached Files:

2. sabetts

sabetts Active Member

Wow, that is a cool looking zoomer!

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'm not familiar with mushrooms in your region, nor have I ever seen this one. It is very beautiful!

However I do have a guess: If it is a member of the genus Amanita, it looks like it belongs in the section Caesaria. And apparently Amanitas in your area are mycorrhizal with Cedrus.

Here's are two links that may be of interest - http://www.eticomm.net/~ret/amanita/mainaman.html#sectcaes http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/jun252004/1619.pdf

Can you confirm: Is the volva grey or white on the outside?

thanks,
    frog

4. alok

alok Member

Thanks for your help and appreciation frog!
    The vulva's white and actually there is very little information about himalayan fungi as till now very little study has been available on himalayan fungi.
    I am an amateur who is trying to show people how much of variety of flora and fauna we have here and a lot of it is not known to people out here. In fact your help has been encouraging and I'd seek help from you about other mushrooms that I had documented and not been able to identify.
    Alok

5. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Active Member

That is really impressive!