Transplanting ferns

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Kngkvsquen, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Kngkvsquen

Kngkvsquen Member

Re: How do you transplant wild plants?

Hi, let me see if I understand the process of transplanting wild ferns..I just need to sort of take a deep scrap like the look of the sod you can purchase? I've got tons of wild ferns in my back yard in the woods. I've been thinking of moving some to the front area of my yard (still shaded) or even placing them in pots on the porch. However, before I go to all the trouble of getting in the briars I'd like to make sure they will survive the move. Also if I could have some advice on if I should move some of the berries into the open a bit to allow them to grow bigger. We have blackberries growing all along the edge of the clearing before you go into the woods. We just cleared the area this year and it's covered with blackberry and muscadine vines. Should I clear around the vines to allow them a bit more room or just leave them and fertilize to make them do better since they are now exposed to sun?

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years