relocating an espaliered apple tree?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by kiki, Jul 7, 2013.

1. kiki

kiki New Member

We have an espaliered apple tree in our new yard in Saskatoon. It was planted in a poor location (likely to damage a fence + we need access to do some drainage work) and also hasn't been properly cared for as an espalier tree.

We estimate that it was planted about 2 years ago, I assume as a sapling. It's currently about 6-7 feet tall. Last summer it had about 4-5 apples in a single grouping, and this year appears to have about 15 total.

We'd love to move it to our front yard, so it doesn't go to waste and because we want to eventually have zero grass in the front yard.
    a) is it likely too established to be successfully relocated?
    b) if not, should we wait until spring (vs. fall) to move it? This past winter it snowed by mid-Oct so we didn't get much of a fall.
    c) once espaliered, can it be retrained to grow "normally"? Some of the larger core branches have been trained but the new ones are growing everywhere (because we have zero clue what we're doing and also zero interest in continuing with it).

2. Fine ocean parker

Fine ocean parker Active Member

I think I would prune it in late winter early spring. This will make it easyer to move and should help with fruit production. With a decent root ball it should transplant fine. If you don't want to espalier the tree don't have to but, you probably prune every year anyways espalier or not.
    Good luck

3. kiki

kiki New Member

Thanks! We'd already planned to prune this fall, but I'll let the landscaper know our intention to move it this spring.

We aren't super concerned about level of fruit production, but it would certainly be a bonus. :)