Myer Lemon Tree Losing All Its Leaves!

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by vmzral, Aug 31, 2009.

1. vmzral

vmzral Member

Hello All,

My myer lemon tree was previously flowering and great, but has since lost all but three of it's leaves!

The soil temperature is around 71F and sits on a table in a large south facing window. It's watering pattern has been rather off lately, as I realized the soil moisture meter is broken... has this killed it?

Please help!

V

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

First of all, toss away your moisture meter. Moisture meters only cause problems. Learn to test your tree's water needs either by your finger, or by the weight of the container. How long has your tree been growing in the current growth medium (potting soil)? Citrus trees growing in mediums with good air porosity, thus good drainage, are never bothered by over watering. As time passes all medium types begin to degrade and compact, thus loosing a lot of its porosity (air). When watering a medium that has become compacted, the water fills the few air spaces left, for longer and longer periods of time, driving out what little oxygen remaining. The tree's root system actually dies of suffocation. Slip your tree for it container and examine the root system to see if the roots have rotted, and then get back to us. - Millet (1,234-)

3. LemonLisa

LemonLisa Member

The same thing happened to my tree until I found that they love acidic conditions. I bought fertilizer at the nursery that was for acidic loving plants. Ever since, it has gone absolutely crazy! All it's leaves have grown back and more plus alot of flowers/lemons!

4. vmzral

vmzral Member

Thanks for the tip!

I checked the roots/drainage of the pot. The roots themselves were ok, however the bottom of the pot was mildly soggy. I seem to have sorted that out, and it appears to be on the (albeit slow) rebound.

5. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

In the bottom of every container, no matter what, there is always a wet area called the perched water table. The perched water table is yet another reason to always provide a growth medium with excellent drainage.

Lemon Lisa, citrus do not love acidic conditions. When a citrus tree is growing in an acidic medium, the tree will normally show no visible symptom, except to produce either no crop of fruit, or a very small crop of fruit. Citrus like a pH of 6.5 which is just barely on the acid side of the pH scale. (pH7 is neutral). - Millet (1,223-)

6. LemonLisa

LemonLisa Member

Haha! Well I don't claim to know alot about plants and specifically Myer Lemons. All I know is that when I went to a nursery to solve my dying Myer Lemon problem (losing all it's leaves!) they looked it up in a book and told me that Myer Lemons like acidic soil conditions like rhododendrens so I bought rhododendren or acid-loving plant food. Since I've been giving my tree the food, it has grown back all it's leaves and more, blossomed in abundance, and we have enjoyed quite a few delicious lemons!!!