Corn and Yucca tropical trees

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Unregistered, Sep 21, 2004.

1. I'm living up in Whistler and have done for the past 15years. I have 2 tropical trees. One is a Yucca and the other is a Corn. Sorry I am not savvy with their proper names. What I am wishing to know is whether these trees could successfully be trimed back and if so, how am I to do that? My Yucca is over 13' tall and branches out to cover about 10'. It is now pulled together with string as it was looking like it would fall over. The Corn Tree is slightly shorter and not so bushy and is standing on its own without any string. The pot dimension is the same for both trees. They are 16'' high by 20'' width (inside measurement). If I could successfully cut these trees back could I replant the cuttings? Is this a good time of the year for making such a move? Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you the experts. I have had little luck with the local florists in my area.

Thank you,
    Diane Hemingson
    PS. you could reach me by my email address: dhemi@whooshnet.com

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Yucca and Corn houseplant pruning

These two houseplants belong to the Agavaceae family and the "corn " plant is actually Dracaena fragrans, which is somewhat more difficult to grow, because it does not like too cool conditions. Both can be propagated relatively easily, but you should wait until April at the earliest when it is natural for the plant to grow. (Lower temperatures and light levels tend to encourage a more or less dormant state.) With the Dracaena you can remove the crown from leggy canes and root them in sterile potting mix. Keep in a warm place. The old trunk will more than likely send out new shoots too after it has been pruned, so you will be able to have many plants.

The Yucca is even easier to root. Simply take a trunk branch and root in water or potting mix. The old trunk will also send out new shoots. Stem cuttings 5-10cm. long bearing at least one node and placed half buried, horizontally in a pot of soil will also produce new plants.