Baptisia sp?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by nitrogeninthesoil, Aug 24, 2015.

1. nitrogeninthesoil

nitrogeninthesoil Active Member 10 Years

Hello.

I germinated this plant from seed. I thought it was B. tinctoria but I am very familiar w/the appearance of this species and it is not tinctoria. I bought some seeds from a company that sells B. tinctoria and B. sphaerocarpa...the plant looks more like the latter BUT the pods are clearly not round....is there another Baptisia species, native to N. America that has pods like these? Unfortunately I didn't take a pic when the plants were flowering but they were yellow not blue and they resembled B. sphaerocarpa.

Thanks for any suggestions!

PS if it helps pics were taken in northern VA, Appalachian mountains in late August.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  2. Axel

Axel Active Member

Those seedpods don't quite match Baptisia in general, but Thermopsis villosa is a possibility.

3. nitrogeninthesoil

nitrogeninthesoil Active Member 10 Years

Aha! You are right! I did receive a packet of free T. caroliana w/the purchase of another species...and if I'm not mistaken....T. caroliana is synonymous w/ T. villosa?

Wow, to my untrained eye the Thermopsis genus closely resembles that of Baptisia...I hope they're in the same family....at least maybe I got that right :) ?

Thank-you so much for your help!

4. Axel

Axel Active Member

Yes, T. caroliniana is synonymous with T. villosa. And yes, they both belong the same family (Fabaceae) and are so closely related that intergeneric hybrids (between Thermopsis and Baptisia) actually can be produced.