Large cyperaceae sp.

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Eyerah, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Eyerah

Eyerah Active Member

Found this thing on a wet rocky lakeshore. It never flowered, so I have no idea what it is. Stems >1m tall and >1cm wide. Strongly triangular. Very distinct, truncate, reddened collar area. Inner stem is arenchyma.

Can anyone help?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's a Carex. As to which one, best I can suggest is to find a resource that discusses the sedges of whatever area you found this in and try to narrow it down to a grouping (there are artificial groups you might be able to place it in, like http://ontariograsses.com/sedges/crsedges.php)

3. Eyerah

Eyerah Active Member

Thanks Daniel!

I am curious how you know that it is a carex and not something like a cyperus, or something else in the family cyperaceae?

I will check out the link.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think in Cyperus (of Alberta), the leaves should all be basal.

I suppose it could be a member of the old Scirpus (before the genus was split). On a second look, I am unsure as to whether this property:

via Flora of North America

is only found in Carex or can also be found in that broad definition of Scirpus.

5. Eyerah

Eyerah Active Member

Yeah that is a good point to consider. I suppose that if it hasn't flowered yet it is probably a phyllopodic stem that wil do so next season.

Thanks for the information. I will be sure to post back here if I come to some diagnosis of this specimen.